It’s finally here – Spring Break is next week. The spring holidays are behind us, reports have been handed in and our kids and teachers finally get a break. It’s time to look over and complete those pre-Spring Break checklists, which for us means “make that annual donation to SchoolCARE."
The truth is, even we Board members need reminders to donate. So please join us this week as we try to raise $300,000 for the 2013-2014 school year. Ambitious? Why yes...but it's what our kids need to be great readers, to be able to go to the school library each day, to have access to art enrichment and counselors and to have all of the high school courses they need to be accepted at a University of California school. We've set the bar high because our kids deserve nothing less.
To say it a different way, your kids need SchoolCARE and SchoolCARE needs you.
Thank you so much if you have already responded to a phone call with a donation, dropped a check into your school office or gone online to make a secure credit card donation. The teachers and staff who you will support next year thank you.
But we need help. It will take more donations of $50, $100 and $500 for us to reach our goal. Before you check out for Spring Break, can you join us and donate to SchoolCARE here today? It takes less than 5 minutes and is completely secure.
And if you’re wondering where your money goes, here are the five things SchoolCARE will do with your support over the next year:
5) Continue to fund people – equitably across the district – since we are the only school fundraising organization paying for people such as teachers, counselors, librarians and aides, who work with students during the regular school day.
4) Work through an inclusive stakeholder process at each school site to help determine what curriculum enhancement programs and positions are considered “priority” for the next school year.
3) Keep our eyes on the state budget and ears to the ground, working together with other groups that support school excellence, including the District, Albany Music Fund, the Albany Education Foundation, PTAs, school site councils and booster organizations.
2) Make sure to spend nearly 100% of your donation on the priorities laid out at each school, since we are 100% volunteer run and have little overhead.
1) Never stop working hard on behalf of our children, seeking the donations, funding and continued business and “First Monday” support we need to maintain excellent schools, because it’s simple: the more money we raise, the more positions and programs we can support.
Many, many thanks. We hope you have a great Spring Break.
Sara Marcellino, Yael Bloom, Karen Buttwinick, Becky Hopwood, Julie Burke, Alesia Alonso, Teresa Barnett, Helene Class, Debbie Essex, Kym Sterner, Stephen Naiff, Carol Newborg, Chris Noble, John Sladkus, Amy Tick, Karen Vaughn and Kim Wolf
P.S. We can do so much for our schools in 2013-2014 with your help. Please, consider a tax-deductible donation to SchoolCARE here today.
P.P.S. See the fabulous folks who have donated to the current school year here on our SchoolCARE Family Page. Please donate today and we’ll make sure your name is listed soon, too!